A few things come to mind as reflect briefly on the last twelve months. I'm thinking in terms of forgiveness and gratitude. Some things and people I forgive--including myself. Some things I am particularly grateful for at this moment.
I recognize that I let small things and small-minded people really get to me in 2009. I permitted these to seriously unsettle me. I regret that. Forgiving them. Forgiving myself. Learning lessons.
- for missed opportunities for reconciliation or investing time in someone's future;
- for lowering my expectations of myself and others;
- for all who are truly either incompetent or aggressively reckless drivers on the highways (including me, sometimes);
- for all "Christians" who sent me hate-e-mail in my advocacy for health care reform;
- for those who mistreated my kids and spouse;
- for mean people;
- for thinking or saying "mean people suck";
- for not seeking to understand
I continue to be grateful for a solid sense of place in this city. I found myself expressing my love for Indianapolis in a conversation just this morning. So many people, aspects and relationships make this, for me, an endearing, challenging, and hopeful milieu of living and forward-looking.