10 WAYS TO REVITALIZE YOUR PRAYER LIFE
PITHY LIST. I worked with Jesus' teaching on prayer in the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7) recently and pulled together from various people regarded as prayer mastters this pithy list of steps one might take to revitalize one's prayer life. These may only be good for a jump-start, but if that's what's needed, read on.
1. Walk when you pray. You can “be still” and move at the same time. You will be amazed at the things you encounter for intercession during a prayer walk.
2. Pray with your eyes open. There is nothing more holy about closing your eyes when you pray. Some pray-ers in the Bible prayed with their eyes open.
3. Start by confessing—by name—every action, attitude, or outlook that just might be construed as sin…and repent---turn away from—each. This is the first and most important expression of prayer.
4. As best you can, put yourself in the shoes of the ones for whom you pray. Compassion for another changes the way you pray for them.
5. Visualize Jesus addressing and healing those for whom you pray. Using your imagination can help you understand prayer as something more than words.
6. Pray at the same time and place everyday for six straight days. Establish the best habit of your life.
7. Listen as much as you talk or petition. Prayer is not one-way. Listen intently.
8. Pray outside. Many prayers of the Bible are out in the open. Get out of the box.
9. Pray with a Psalm each day. The Psalms are prayers. Let them help you.
10. “Flash” prayers at 10 people each day. I call this “stealth praying.” You’ll find yourself looking for someone to pray for. Who knows, you might even speak to them?!